Thank you for your interest in our program! All visiting elective rotations are scheduled through the University of Washington.
Gayle Schneider, phone (206) 744-3443, email [email protected], is the clerkship administrator and contact person for people interested in rotating through UW Psychiatry. She is also the contact person to arrange a rotation in Boise, ID.
Please note that we use the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) for applications, and clerkship dates must follow the UW clinical schedule .
PBSCI 672 P – Elective Clerkship in Primary Care Psychiatry at Boise VAMC
- Students will learn about the assessment and treatment of patients with acute psychiatric problems in a primary care/rural setting.
- Students learn how to provide consultation for general medicine and surgery settings.
- Students will learn how to asses and deal with outpatient psychiatric problems as they initially present.
- Students will learn evaluation techniques.
- Students will learn crisis intervention strategies.
- Students will learn psychopharmacology.
- Students will learn brief therapies.
Opportunities to participate in satellite clinics in rural areas and Indian Health Service. Other participation negotiable depending on interest and experience.
Conferences: Clinical care conferences.
Presentations: Presentation of a specific clinical area to the treatment team is an option.
The Care of the Psychiatric Patient, Richard J. Goldberg, M.D., 2nd edition, 1998.
Evaluation: Evaluation of student is mainly by attending with input from other staff. Same general form as for psychiatry clerkships.
Other: Student is responsible for providing their own housing and vehicle.
Offered: AWSpS; 4 weeks
Prerequisite: Psychiatry core clerkship.
Total Enrollment: 1 ; open to visiting students interested in the Boise Psych Residency Prog.
Faculty Contact: Dr. Paul Borghesani
Clerkship Administrator: Gayle Schneider; (206) 744-3443; [email protected]
Clerkship Site: Boise, ID